Will be open again this year for a few days as part of The National Gardens Scheme.
3800 NGS gardens to visit with the best of plants, flowers and garden design (including National Trust). Open your garden.
Origin of the name Beach - ton [a settlement were beach trees are growing?]
Bock -stow [blue stone, location of a blue boundary marker stone?]
Christleton Road, Chester (30 Minutes walk from the cross)
Boughton is a suburb of Chester located a mile to the east of the city on a bend in the River Dee. Boughton has a long history stretching back into Roman times. Natural pure water springs were tapped and water transported to the Roman fortress nearby. Important Roman roads into the fortress were lined with cremation burials and possibly monuments. Traces of a Roman Temple were discovered near Boughton Bars. In the middle ages Boughton was a place of execution and the housing of the sick. Much of Boughton was destroyed in the English Civil War.
St Paul's Church, Boughton from the River Dee. Click for the Web Site >>>
There is not much for the tourist to see in Boughton today. Apart from the small graveyard of the chapel of St. Giles. The recorded history of this area of the city started in roman times. This area was the intersection of 3 roman roads. These roads can be seen on the small map above and the path of these roads can also be seen today.
The name 'boughton' or 'bluestone' may have originated from the placement of a blue boundary stone (now lost) along side the road similar to the Gloverstone which stood outside Chester Castle.
In Roman times Boughton was well outside the Roman Fortress. A number of Roman cremation urns have been discovered dotted throughout the area. Suggesting that the three Roman Roads that converged in the area may have had burials and cremations along them. The most surprising find to come from Boughton was a large Roman Altar standing almost four feet high. It was discovered by workmen in 1821 toppled over almost in situ in a field now lost called 'the daniels'. This was thought to be located somewhere behind the Cherry Orchard Pub.
The altar was damaged by pickaxe before it was discovered what it was. The altar marked the position of the well head for the springs for the Roman Fortress. And is dedicated to the 'Nymphs and fountains of the twentieth legion (Valeria Vitrix)'. The inscription is on both sides and it was designed to be seen from two viewpoints.
The altar was purchased privately be the Duke of Westminster. And is now in the private grounds of Eaton Hall.
Near the altar was a spring long since dried up. Water was tapped off and conveyed to the fortress by the means of a terra cotta pipeline. Part of the aqueduct was found during the construction of the Grosvenor Park Lodge.
Some of the Roman Terra Cotta pipes found are now in the Grosvenor Museum.
The next major part of Boughton's history starts early in the 12th century when Earl Randle Blunderville founded a leper hospital, a mile from the city walls.
This hospital looked after people with all kinds of diseases including the plague.
The area is shown on the map as a cluster of pest houses surrounding a chapel, south of the road junction of Christleton and Tarvin Road.
There were in fact two chapels. One in the middle of the fork in the road called Boughton chapel-at-ease, belonging to St Oswald's parish. The other across the road called the Chapel of Spital Boughton. The hospital was granted charters and privileges including the right to extract tax from
people passing with goods into Chester.
All that is left today is the small graveyard and an inscription. The inscription reads:
St Giles Cemetery. Here stood the leper hospital and chapel of St Giles. Founded early in the 12th century and endowed by successive Norman earls of Chester they remained in constant use until 1643. When defensive measures during the siege of Chester necessitated the demolition of buildings outside the city walls. The cemetery remained to mark the site and in time the little village of Spital Boughton clustered around it. In 1644 the royalist defenders suffered great loss of life in a gallant sortie in Boughton and many of the fallen were buried here. It was also used for victims of the plagues which ravaged the city in the 16th and 17th centuries. Being extra parochial the site was granted to the corporation by Charles II in 1685. As a burial ground and through for a period in the charge of St Johns parish. It remains in their hands. When protestant martyr George Marsh was burned at the stake on gallows hill close by his ashes were collected by his friends and buried here. The last burial took place in 1854.
A drinking fountain was erected in the middle of the road. But has since been moved to the side of the cemetery.
It has long since gone out of use. It is inscribed:
"Presented to the city by Miss Humble of Vicars Cross in memory of the late Ed Humble and the ---- who reside there"
A Protestant Martyr (Born in Deane 1515 - Died in Chester 1555)
George Marsh was the only person martyred in Cheshire under Queen Mary. He was burned
at the stake on the 24th April 1555 in Boughton north of Christleton road opposite the Gallows. George Marsh was condemned to burn to death as a heretic by bishop of Chester George Coats at the consistory court in the Cathedral. Which was then housed in the Lady Chapel behind the high altar.
George Marsh was a preacher from near Bolton in an area on the hill above the town called 'Deane'. He went about his way preaching stories from the bible in the villages around Bolton, he was employed by Edward VI in 1547 as a preaching minister. He was a tall man with a cleaver way with words. But during the reign of Queen Mary his preaching's were out of step with the new Catholic ways. He was brought before the authorities, Justice Barton at Smithills Hall. But refused to change his ways. He was imprisoned for a time at Lancaster Castle but people still flocked to his prison cell to hear him preach. He was then moved to Chester to be tried and executed. He was given the change to go free if he became a Catholic. But he refused to do this. He was taken to Boughton to be burned at the stake. He was tied to the stake and a barrel of tar was set above is head to drip on him as he burned. After he was executed his ashes were collected by his friends and buried in St Giles Cemetery nearby.
Father John Plessington was the Catholic priest in charge at St Winifred's well, Holywell North Wales. Who was executed at Boughton on the 19th of July 1679. He was made a saint on the 25th October 1970.
There is a memorial to him in the entrance porch of St Werburgh's Catholic Church Grosvenor Road.
The entire township of Boughton was burned down in the English civil war on 20th July 1643 after an attack. This prevented parliamentarian troops using the buildings as cover to attack the city. West of the Hospital, just before the junction of Christleton road and Hoole Road. Royalist soldiers constructed an earth wall, to protect the city from attack.
They built a turnpike barrier across the road. Two gun emplacements flanked it. Even today this area is known as The Mount. Because of the rests the muskets were placed on for steady aim. All that remains now the small graveyard of the hospital.
Near the site of the earth wall there is a 17th century figure high up the brickwork of a shop.
It is said that the small figure which appears to be a 17th Century soldier commemorates an attack on the Boughton suburb and turnpike gate by parliamentarian soldiers before the siege of Chester to clear the way so cannons could be brought along the road to St John's Church. So they could bombard the City within the walls.
After the civil war Boughton was gradually rebuilt. For example, Boughton Hall. Which has an old fireplace with the date 1655 and TH inscribed above it. Boughton House on Sandy lane has a 17th century gable. The hospital was never rebuilt. Instead it was transferred to Northgate Street.
The ancient gateway called the Boughton Barrs was demolished.
Boughton Bars area today.
The Old Leadworks
October 2012 - Approval has been granted for Neptune Developments to create 52 apartments, 8 retail units, cafe courtyard and heritage centre.
Walmor House was built in 1890 over looking the river Dee on Sandy Lane. It was the headquarters of the Cheshire Fire Service until 1997. On Christleton Road the space by St. Giles cemetery was left after the 19th century Black Lion public house was demolished in 1971. The history of that establishment can be traced back to 1696. When the lord mayor greeted William III on his visit to Chester outside.
St Pauls church in Boughton was redesigned in 1875 by the Chester architect John Douglas.
Numbers 1 - 5, Christleton Road designed by John Douglas. It used to be a Post Office. The drinking fountain to the side was originally located in front of the building.
John Douglas restored the church of St Pauls.
In the 20th century the Peacock pub was relocated from the other side of the road (From the site of the Peacock garage), to the corner of Heath Lane. This was to allow the parking of cars. The area continued to grow, and many houses and streets were built around Christleton Road.
Just before the war years, rows of shops were built along Christleton Road before the peacock. A cinema was built next to the peacock but was never used as such. It is now an auction room.
Sainsburys located a supermarket on the roundabout.
Today many fine houses line the River Dee at Boughton.
The Spital Vaults off Chrisleton Road The Spital Vaults in Boughton is under new management
The Twirl of Hay, near Sainsburys
New Canalside Housing Developments.
The area of the old lead works and the canal side are currently subject to new housing developments.
Below are pictures of Stocks Lane bowling green, Walmore Hill path to the river and Sandy Lane paddling pool.
126 En-suite Bedrooms
Large Private Car Park in front of the Hotel
Previously known as Ramada Jarvis Chester and The Abbots Well Hotel
A warm and friendly welcome awaits you along with comfortable beds with crisp cotton linen and soft duvets, flat screen TVs with on demand movies, loungable sofas and fine food and wines all in a relaxing atmosphere. Mercure Chester East offers a range of areas to eat and drink including an outside patio overlooking our beautiful gardens in the summer months.
For the more active our Sebastian Coe Health and Leisure Club offers full gym facilities along with a large swimming pool, Sauna and steam room. Beauty treatments and massages are available on request.
Whether for business or pleasure looking after you is our No 1 priority.
The German Kitchen
Supply only or fully installed
Free design service
Fully assembled kitchen units
Finance options available
At Kutchenhaus we have Solutions made to meet your highest standards. German products are renowned for their quality and reliability.
Visit a Kutchenhaus kitchen showroom. Your dream kitchen is just a showroom away. Looking for ideas for your new kitchen? Visit one of our many Kutchenhaus kitchen showrooms across the United Kingdom. In our showrooms, you can take an in-depth look at almost all the different kitchen ranges we have to offer. You can also book an appointment with one of our inhouse designers in your local showroom online. Our kitchen experts will give you ideas and advice on what your kitchen can look like and ensure that it works for your individual wants
Entyce Creative is an innovative and professional design agency based in Cheshire. Read more about Entyce Creative >
We adore what we do and our philosophy is to build long-lasting and rewarding relationships with our clients. We create thoughtful designs and ideas, and consistently deliver superb results by listening to our clients and involving them at each stage of our work.
Our mission is to always meet and exceed expectations - and to challenge clients' thinking to ensure they get the most out of every project. Along the way we make their lives happier and easier.
When you need an agency which is passionate about design and creativity, Entyce Creative makes perfect sense.
Flair Hairdressing Salon
Flair Hairdressing Salon
58 Becketts Lane Chester CH3 5RW 01244 324 851
Well established hairdressers in Boughton.
Chester Convenience Store
Chester Convenience Store
9-13 Boughton Chester CH3 5AE 01244 324 081
Date Visited 17th August 2022
Excellent large newsagent shop on Boughton main road. Open late alcohol sold.
ProBike Motorcycle Training is the home of motorcycle and scooter training in Chester, North Wales and Wirral, with the largest off-road training centre and practice site in the country, and two local sites at Deeside (next to Deeside Ice Rink/Leisure Centre) and on Sandy Lane Chester.