Eaton Hall is the private home to the Duke of Westminster, one of the wealthiest men in the country. Eaton Hall is set in a massive estate and is located a few miles south of Chester on the old Wrexham Road. The Duke of Westminster owns large parts of London and Chester.
The Clock Tower
The Chapel and Shell Grotto
The walkway and Wall
Other buildings in the gardens
Visitors are allowed into the gardens of Eaton Hall once a year on bank holidays.
The Centre Feature
To the end of the Gardens there is a large lake.
A Statue of Mercury in the Gardens.
The Boughton Altar
In Roman times Boughton was well outside the Roman Fortress. A number of Roman cremation urns have been discovered dotted throughout the area. Suggesting that the three Roman Roads that converged in the area may have had burials and cremations along them. The most surprising find to come from Boughton was a large Roman Altar standing almost four feet high. It was discovered by workmen in 1821 toppled over almost in situ in a field now lost called 'the Daniels'. This was thought to be located somewhere behind the Cherry Orchard Pub.
The altar was damaged by pickaxe before it was discovered what it was. The altar marked the position of the well head for the springs for the Roman Fortress. And is dedicated to the 'Nymphs and fountains of the twentieth legion (Valeria Vitrix)'. The inscription is on both sides and it was designed to be seen from two viewpoints.
The altar was purchased privately be the Duke of Westminster. And is now in the private grounds of Eaton Hall.