The Lost Towers of Chester's Walls
The Roman South-East Corner Tower
It is not known what the Romans called this tower when it was constructed as part of the fortress in AD 79.
It is the south-east corner tower of the 'playing card' shaped standard fortress.
For protection the tower was built inside the corner rather than on the outside as in the medieval style.
The tower is built of thick masonry and was used as a lookout for the fort.
In front of the tower would have been a massive defensive ditch, and it is thought sharpened stakes would have been driven into the ground to deter attackers.
Near the Newgate and the Amphitheatre is another lost tower of Chester's walls called Thimbleby's (or Wolf's) Tower.
The medieval tower projects outwards from the City Walls and was badly damaged in the Civil War by a cannon positioned near St John's Church nearby.
The tower has no access to it and is empty inside. It has been restored in recent years a fine roof and weather cock added.
The tower has a groined roof and has an inscription inside saying the tower was repaired in 1879. It is not known how the tower got its name, but there is
an entry in the parish registers of St. Michael's saying '1615, June, Lady Thimbleby buryed 20 [day]'.
The tower is angled and arrow slits.
The name of this tower was taken from the pub below now called 'The Groves'. Several years ago it was called Barnabys.
This tower of which only the foundations up to wall level remain was a Watch Tower and once contained a room similar to Morgan's Mount.
Its lofty position overlooking the river gave it a good vantage point.
This tower was also damaged by cannon fire from a parliamentarian battery on the meadows.
Cannon ball marks were recently found near the base of this tower but they are hard to see now.
On the walls near the Cathedral Bell Tower is a flight of steps leading to Frodsham Street.
Underneath these steps lies the foundations of an old tower called the Sadler's Tower.
The tower was taken down in 1780. The name is derived from when the Sadlers company of Chester used the tower to hold their meetings.
This page was last updated