Ye Olde Kings Head
The Kings Head is a traditional pub on the west side of Lower Bridge Street. The pub is a few minutes walk down hill from the Cross. The name of the pub refers to when King Charles stayed at the nearby Gamul House during the English Civil War.
Actually built in 1622 on foundations dating from 1208. Licensed in 1717 as an inn. Now a 'listed building', all original Jacobean features, beams, etc have been restored.
There is a blue plaque outside which reads : 'Old King's Head' This was the house of Randle Holme I, Mayor of Chester 1633-4. It was described as a 'new building' in 1633. Four generations of the Holme family worked as Chester Heralds and historians during the 17th Century. Their painted Heraldic memorial tablets are a feature of many Cheshire Churches.
The Pub was restored in 1934 and 1968.
Ye Olde Kings Head is easy to find. It is located within the City Walls in the centre of Chester half way down Lower Bridge Street. Just head south from the Cross downhill towards the river.
The exterior of Ye Old Kings Head from Lower Bridge Street on the west side
In front of the bar is this fine medieval local sandstone nook fireplace.
Old Oak beams are visible in the bar area
The Exit to Lower Bridge Street
First Floor Restaurant
The first floor restaurant is currently being refurbished and will be reopening mid 2013
Stairs from the Pub leading up to the Restaurant.
The sword and slippers mounted above the door were found in the 1930's under the floorboards of one of the guest rooms.
It dates to the 17th Century. It is thought it was hidden after a crime had been committed long ago.
Private Meeting Rooms
Second floor accommodation rooms refurbished in early 2013
Ye Olde Kings Head is currently available for bookings on Laterooms.com
Date Accommodation Viewed Saturday 10th June 2012
Available again on Laterooms.com June 2013
Bar Food Menu
City Food and Drink Guide Chester Special Offer