The Ridgway Silver Gallery
Grosvenor Museum, Chester (2 Minutes walk from the cross)
This gallery was named after Canon Maurice H Ridgway. In recognition of his outstanding contribution to the study of Chester silver.
Silver plated trowel P. Shaw 1849
This trowel was used to lay the first stone of the tower of St. Michaels Church. When it was largely rebuilt by architect James Harrison.
Seth Lofthouse land 1701 - 1702
These flagons were purchased with £40 bequeathed to the St Michaels church in 1702 by the Chester Goldsmith Samuel Edwardes. They are engraved with the Madocks arms. To which Edwardes was probably not entitled, but they stress his family's pride in its welsh origins.
The Delamere Horn
(Silver gilt mouthpiece possibly William Mutton, Chester, 1561 - 1566. Two silver mounts Herbert Charles Lambert, London, 1905 - 06)
The Delamere Horn was the symbol of office of the hereditary chief forester of Delamere forest just outside Chester in Central Cheshire. The chief forester administered this hunting preserve for the Earls of Chester. It is said that the chief forester was bound to use the horn while in attendance of the Earl during the chase. The office was granted by Earl Randle I to Ranulph De Kingsley in 1123. It later passed through the Done, Crewe, Arderne and O'Brien families of Utkinton Hall and Arderne Hall.
The mouthpiece is engraved with a band of scrolling arabesques, and this has been copied on the other two mounts. The horn hangs from a loop of green and gold braid with a tassel which probably dates from about 1561 - 1566
The Arderne Tankard
(WC, London, 1669 - 1670)
The Arderne Tankard dates from 1669 - 1670 and is engraved with the Arderne family arms. It was probably made for Sir John Arderne of Harden and Alvanley.
Sir John Arderne (1630 - 1707) was knighted whilst serving as sheriff of Cheshire.
Other Silver on display
The Chester assay office closed in 1962
Lowe & Sons Chester Silver display Bridge Street Row East May 2012
This page was last updated