<<< Back to Index
The road under is open as normal.
A view looking up Bridge Street from on the Bridgegate.
There is a ramp to the city walls near here.
Below is a drawing of the medieval Bridgegate that stood on the current site of the new Bridgegate from medieval times until 1782, when it was demolished in order to build a gate with better access into the city. The original Bridgegate was more defensive in design and had a narrow passageway flanked by two massive towers. Tolls were paid to the sergeant of the gate on goods passing through into the city. The sergeancy of the gate changed hands through several local families like the Norrrise’s and Troutbeck’s.
In 1601 John Tyrer a lay clerk at the cathedral was given permission to build a tower on the top for the purpose of providing a pressurised water supply from the River Dee into the city. This private operation was successful and another tower was setup at Boughton, but John Tyrer himself died in 1611. The tower was destroyed with the old gate.
The medieval gateway was demolished in 1782 and was replaced by the present structure.
It was designed by Joseph Turner and was built by the Chester Corporation.
|The Watergate||The Northgate||The Bridgegate||The Eastgate|
This page was last updated
© 2021 Button IT Net
Chestertourist.com 62 Beeston View Handbridge Chester Cheshire CH4 7EE