<<< Back to Index
Northgate Street, Chester (1 Min walk from the cross)
The medieval gateway and gaol (above right) was demolished in 1808. And the present gateway was constructed.
It has an inscription in Latin above the arch:
PORTAM SEPTENTRIONALEM SVBSTRVCTAM A ROMANIS VETVSTE IAM DILAPSVRAM / IMPENSIS SVIS AB INTEGRO RESTITVENDAM CVRAVIT ROBERTVS COMES GROSVENOR / A.R.GEORGII TERTII LI
"The north gate built by the Romans being now about to disintegrate, Robert Earl Grosvenor has had it entirely restored at his own expense in the 51st year of the reign of George III."
To the left of the Northgate outside the wall is a surviving part of the roman fortress wall. This section is complete with the cornice stone.
To the right of the Northgate outside is the bridge of sighs. Named after a similar bridge in Italy. This little disused bridge was used to lead condemned prisoners from the Northgate goal to the Chapel in the Blue Coat Hospital to hear prayers before being executed.
The Bridge of Sighs depicted in a mural in the near by Bull & Stirrup Pub.
Just for good measure this is the real bridge of sighs in Venice, Italy.
The Blue Coat School is on the former site of the Hospital of St John the Baptist, founded by Randall Blundeville in the 12th century. The chapel and hospital were destroyed during the civil war. In 1700 the Blue Coat School was founded by Bishop Stratford for the education of 46 boys. The present building dates from 1717, and was restored in 1854.
There is a memorial to Bishop Stratford in the west end of Chester Cathedral.
|The Watergate||The Northgate||The Bridgegate||The Eastgate|
This page was last updated
© 2019 Button IT Net
Chestertourist.com 62 Beeston View Handbridge Chester Cheshire U.K. CH4 7EE